A cookie it's a text file harmless which is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The utility of cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know the cookies They have been in use for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookie?
The cookies they do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your DNI or personal information, etc. The data they keep is of a technical nature, personal preferences, content personalization, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person but rather your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try browsing the same website with Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the website does not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous user and a registered user are browsing, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic website.
- cookies Analysis: They collect information on the type of navigation you are doing, the sections you use the most, products consulted, time zone of use, language, etc.
- cookies Advertising: They show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and third partyThey are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
So that you understand the scope that deactivating the cookies We show you some examples:
- You will not be able to share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as is usually the case in online stores.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as My account, or My profile or My orders.
- Online stores: It will be impossible for you to make online purchases, they will have to be by phone or visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences such as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and web traffic, which will make it difficult for the web to be competitive.
- You will not be able to write on the blog, you will not be able to upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will also not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- It will not be possible to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the web.
Can cookies be removed?
Yes. Not only delete, but also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To remove the cookies From a website you must go to your browser settings and there you can search for those associated with the domain in question and proceed with its removal.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here is how to access a cookie determined by the browser Chrome. Note: these steps may vary depending on the version of the browser:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the personalization icon that appears at the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list will appear with all the cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier for you to find cookies of a certain domain, partially or totally enter the address in the field Search cookies.
- After performing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with the cookies of the requested website. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed to its elimination.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Internet explorer follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Firefox follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- In Record choose Use custom settings for history.
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Safari for OSX follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Adjustments, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy & Security, you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies the device browser Android follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press the key Menu, then Adjustments.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies to enable or disable the box.
To access the configuration of cookies the device browser Windows Phone follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open up Internet explorer, then Plus, then Setting
- You can now enable or disable the box Allow cookies.